Volunteer at the 2020 Maine Flower Show
Thank You for being interested in volunteering at The Maine Flower Show! Volunteers are needed to help us manage “the people part” of the show. It takes a village to keep things running smoothly, and we couldn’t do it without you!
The 2020 Signup is ready! We have some new positions this year!
Please click the link below to to to signup.com and learn more about all of the positions, days and times available, and to sign up and participate!
It’s easy – you will not need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
- Review the options listed and choose the volunteer position(s) you like. For detailed descriptions of each volunteer position, click on the name of the position for more information.
- Fill in all info: name, phone number and email address.
- When finished, be sure to hit “DONE” at the top of the page; this completes your sign up and generates a confirmation email.
- SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact Kerry Ratigan. You can be signed up manually.
Go to Signup.com by clicking the button below!
Download the 2020 MFS Volunteer Information packet. Included are volunteer positions, protocols, parking info, check-in, and other details.
Kerry Ratigan, Volunteer Coordinator
Sign up for the Maine Flower Show Volunteers Newsletter!
For One 4 Hour +/- Shift Receive: *1 Flower Show Volunteer T-Shirt. *1 Show Admission. *Free Volunteer Parking is available at the Old West School Lot, 59-63 Douglass Street, Portland ME 04102; Free Shuttle Vans will transport volunteers to/from the show from 8am until ½ hour after the show closes each day.
For Any Additional Shifts Receive: *One Flower Show Admission for each shift.
If your schedule does not allow you to enjoy the show the day you are volunteering, or if you are volunteering on Sunday; you may come see the show a different day. You will enter and check in at the Exhibitor/Volunteer Entrance that day as well.
1. Hang Posters. Starting @ January 23,, 2020, until they are all out Pick up Show posters and smaller rack cards at O’Donal’s Nursery, 6 County Road Gorham, ME Tues-Sun 9-4. (Call first in bad weather, to make sure they are open.) Hang 15-20 in high traffic/high visibility locations in your area. The more coverage we have the better! Please check-in with the owners of the bulletin board/window before you hang posters. Some places, like libraries, have policies about only posting for Non Profits. MELNA is a 503(c) Non Profit Organization. People can sign up for this spot until we run out of posters/cards.
2. Show Prep Tuesday 3/24/20 Tasks: Set Up; Stuff Packets and SWAG Bags; Check in Exhibitors/direct and assist them to their booths. Help us prep/bundle flowers and pussy willows we will be selling. Free Volunteer Parking On-Site Tuesday Only.
3. Show Prep Wednesday 3/25/20 Tasks: Check in Exhibitors/direct and assist them to their booths; help with all misc. show set up needs that must be completed by Noon. Free Volunteer Parking On-Site Wednesday Only.
4. Premiere Night Wednesday 3/25/20 Tasks: Help us man all Show volunteer spots; specific assignments made upon arrival. Free Volunteer Parking On-Site Wednesday Only.
During The Show:
Free Volunteer Parking is available at the Old West School Lot, 59-63 Douglass Street, Portland ME 04102; Free Shuttle Vans will transport volunteers to/from the show from 8am until ½ hour after the show closes each day.
Front Entrance: Advanced Tickets: Tasks: Take/scan paper tickets as guests arrive. Must be comfortable with using/learning scanners, as accurate counting is key. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working by the Front Entrance.
Front Entrance Cash Ticket Scanner: Tasks: Scan tickets for cash sales at the door. Must be comfortable with using/learning scanners, as accurate counting is key. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working by the Front Entrance.
Front Entrance: Credit Cards Tasks: Processing credit card payments for ticket sales at the door. Must be comfortable with using/learning technology, specifically iPads/Square Reader. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working by the Front Entrance.
Front Entrance: Door Holder/Clicker Tasks: Hold inside door open for ease of entrance into the building, use hand-held clicker to help us track head count. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working by the Front Entrance.
Front Entrance: Exit Door Tasks: Use hand-held clicker to count guests exiting the show, to help us with head count. Direct/Assist guests to golf carts and shuttle busses. if requested stamp hands for same day re-entry. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working by the Front Entrance.
Front Entrance: Outside Greeters Tasks: Assist guests on/off shuttle busses, direct guests/volunteers/exhibitors to appropriate entrance lines. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working outside, and we do so rain or shine.
Golf Cart Driver: Tasks: Shuttle handicapped parking guests, guests with parking seats, an specialized ticket guests to/from the Front Entrance, assist/shuttle walkers coming from the PTC to/from the Front Entrance. Must be age 18 or older. ** This is not just driving. You must be comfortable driving a golf cart as well as be fully able to hop on and off it to assist guests and their gear on and off the golf cart.**PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when driving carts, and they run rain or shine.
Shuttle Bus Ambassador: *NEW!* Tasks: Ride the Large Shuttle Busses on their loops. We will provide a script for you to use to welcome guests; promote the show; give directions, ensure guests see all gardens and travel both the building and the tent; explain People’s Choice Voting, pass on key pieces of info and help people on and off the busses. **You MUST love people, have patience, love to talk and answer questions, (perhaps the same questions, multiple times) and ride the shuttle busses for the shift. **If you want to do this spot with a partner, please let me know, and we can set that up.**
People’s Choice Voting Crew: Tasks: As guests enter the show, explain The People’s Choice Award & Voting, hand each person a plant tag ballot, point out bird house ballot boxes; hand out show programs.
Children’s Garden: Tasks: Help maintain the garden, make sure plants look good, represent participating organizations. Assist children with scavenger hunt and hand out prizes. Assist children with set up/planting of small plants in pots.
Plant Something! Booth Tasks: Help staff the Independent Garden Centers’ Booth, help guests sign up on the mobile app, pass out seeds, help with kids’ scavenger hunt, answer questions/give directions.
Exhibitor/Volunteer Entrance: Tasks: Check in Exhibitors/Garden Display Companies/Volunteers, hand out and re-file name badges, offer directions to floor space/lecture hall/etc.
Volunteer Check-In Room: Tasks: Check-in General Show & MELNA Volunteers, make sure each person signs in on sheet, hand out t-shirts, direct volunteers to their assigned spots. **This is a fairly
stationary position located out back, and very important for us to keep track of everyone who arrives. Feel free to bring a book or project with you!
Lecture Hall: Tasks: Help speakers set up and get situated; direct guests to lecture hall, help them get settled; introduce speakers, pass out handouts. Must be able to run A/V equipment (laptop & projector).
Tent Entrance: **NEW** Tasks: Help direct guests into the tent, give general directions.
Wandering Ambassador: Tasks: Work in teams of 2; Travel through the Show, being available to answer questions, give directions, provide general assistance as needed to Show Guests.
Vendor Support: Tasks: Travel through the Show, check in with Vendors/Exhibitors, cover booths for vendor breaks, run & get snacks if requested.
Wild Card Volunteer: **NEW** Tasks: Come prepared to fill in for any spot, Inside and/or Outside, on Golf Carts or Shuttle Busses that is open due to last minute cancellation or no-show. PLEASE come prepared with gear for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS; it can be very cold when working by the Front Entrance or Outside.